In this world of digital media, there is a very common term used by most of the digital media marketers and that is “Search Engine Marketing” also known as the SEM. It is considered to be one of the most effective ways to promote your business, product, service or and eCommerce store. There are many competitions in the global market especially on a digital scale where it becomes essential for other businesses to go for online advertising, product promotion and search engine marketing.
Now you might be confused by SEM as there is another very common term used in promoting a website and that is SEO (Search engine optimization). To avoid your confusion, let’s look at the description of both of the terms below;
Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization, commonly known as the “SEO” is a method to increase not just a quality, but also the quantity of website traffic. It develops and increases the visibility of a website to the public so that the public can trust it and visit it more often. The best part about SEO is that it’s free to do and you can do it all on your own if you get to learn how to do it.
Benefits of SEO
SEO comes with a lot of benefits and they are mentioned here as follows;
- It establishes brand awareness
- Builds better user experience
- Develops brand/product capability
- Increases traffic
- Improves usability of a website
- Helps in promoting business/brand/product/service
- Improves public trust in the website
- Helps in developing strong public relations
- Improves position against a competitor
- Promotes proper cost management
- No need for payment for promotion through ads
Search Engine Marketing
Search engine marketing, commonly known as the “SEM” is a kind of internet marketing where we get to promote our website, our businesses, our services/brands/products through advertising and promotion and that we do is by paid methods. There is a payment done to promote the website through a paid search like for example; an ad will appear at the top of the first page of Google in terms of the particular search item a person is looking for and “AD” will be written before it.
Benefits of SEM
- Just like SEO, SEM also comes with a lot of benefits and they have mentioned her as follows;
- Improves brand awareness along with brand equity
- Increase visibility of a website instantly
- Increases traffic instantly
- No need to work hard and consume time for website ranking
- Instantly ranks your website to the top without time wastage
- Promotes your website through ads based on its audience, language, and location.
Difference between SEO and SEM
The biggest difference between the two terms is that SEO is a free website promotion whereas SEM is a paid promotion. SEO takes a lot of time while SEM does it instantly. Also, SEM is a process of gaining attraction of a larger audience through purchasing ads while SEO is free but consumes a lot of effort and time to reach to the top.